Friday, July 2, 2010

Potholders and Tea Cozy for Craftster Swap

Last month, I signed up for my first craft swap on craftster.org. It seemed simple enough...potholders + 1 other item. The organizer matched me up with a woman in Texas who has a black/white/red kitchen and likes handmade, modern things.
But of course I ended up having to do everything at the last minute...but I got it done. Just in the nick of time! As usual. :)
Anyhoo, this is what I came up with...

I found this 'wonky' stars pattern in one of Mom's quilting magazines from the early 2000's (turn of the century-tee hee). It turned out to be a fairly easy technique...no precise cutting, no major pre-planning other than the overall size and the grouping of fabrics. I did have a couple of duds though...fabric combos that just didn't look good together or weren't modern enough. So those went in the stash bin (where they will sit ignored for many years).
Also, the organizer suggested Insulbrite, a mylar/polyfill batting that doesn't allow heat to pass through. It's easy enough to use, but it makes a little crinkly sound, which I don't like. Too plastic-like. But I guess it's better than sending potholders to a stranger who might end up with burned fingers.
So, I like the way they look. And they sewed up really fast. I hope my potholder partner likes them! I'll post photos of the potholders that she made for me, once they arrive.

My partner's other item request was for a tea cozy. She's never had one before. I found this adorable black and white sewing-themed print and decided to keep the cozy very simple in order to focus on the fabric. I used a red and white floral for the lining (and more crinkly Insulbrite for extra hours of warm tea). Then I stitched some fancy crystal buttons for a little 'handle' on the top.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

anyhoo?????????? and that crack about turn of the century...very funny Rebecca!

Love you anyway and love you work; have you had any feedback?